It becomes very annoying when you just got a new game and you are super excited to play it,and your PC just crashed after few minutes of game-play.It happens to me sometimes.and it just drives me crazy.But how to get over that problem?
First of all check whether your computer meets the minimum requirements of the game.If it does not,just upgrade your hardware or get a new computer.The game is not meant to be played on your computer , hence its crashing…If your computer has more than enough hardware resource to run the game but still crashing , then you have to troubleshoot the system through checking all the components and finding out what is really failing and causing the abrupt shutdown of your PC…
Most of the time its Heat issue.Your computer is probably getting heated too much too quick and causing it to shutdown to avoid permanent hardware damage.Its the self defence mechanism of mother boards and processors.Also some advanced GPUs also has these kind of mechanisms.Its very useful as it really stops your hardware from getting fried or permanently damaged.
Solution – check whether its really a heat issue or not.Measuring the temperature by touching the computer case wont help.It wont give you the perfect temperature of the CPU , Mother board and GPU.To know detailed temparature and voltage status use HWMonitor.
What is HWMonitor –
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.
Download HWMonitor From Here –> Download Link
If any of the components are getting overheated (Generally More than 85°C) , Its probably the heat issue.
What Do I Do to solve It –
The main reason of heat issues are –
- Dust – Dust and other minute particles may accumulate over the components inside your PC which drastically effects the cooling of those components.Remove the dusts regularly as they are very harmful for the health of hardware components.Use compressed air to drive away the dust through blowing action.Don’t use vacuum cleaner or any other air sucking instrument as they may affect the loose hardware items.Better use clean clothes to gently wipe the dust away.
- Inefficient cooling system – The cooling system may be flawed or malfunctioning.You must check whether the fans are working properly and whether the airflow inside the cabinet or Laptop case is efficient enough to drive away the excessive heat generated by the components.Check whether the heat-sink is working properly or not.Sometimes after hardware repair , upgrade or servicing , They carelessly install the heat-sink and forget to apply the Thermal Paste which is very much necessary for proper cooling.So you must check whether the cooling components are properly installed or not.
- Voltage Disruption – Is your power system working good? Check whether its supplying the components the correct amount of voltage they need.High or Low voltage may damage the components and create heat issues.
- Environment – Generally computers need to be placed in a cool room,away from sunlight and heat.Dont put it near any kind of heat source, don’t put it anywhere cozy.If air does not flow well the components will eventually get hot.If you are using laptop,Put it on a flat surface,Use laptop cooler under the laptop as laptops tend to get more hot. Don’t put the laptop on cushions or pillows or any soft surface as it will block the air passages below and cause the laptop to overheat.Using a decent laptop cooling pad is best option.If you live in Hot areas, switch the air conditioners on as the ambient temparature should not exceed 30°C.
How to check whether your GPU is working properly ?
There is only one reliable way to test whether your GPU is working proprly or not and that is to stress test it.The most popular utility to stress test your GPU is FurMark.Stress testing the components will lead to eventually crash or overheating.But thus you will be able to know the limits of your hardware and hence know whether it is stable or not.Stress testing or torture testing your overclocked GPU is extremely important to ensure it runs stable all the time. If you have just started overclocking by increasing the clocks in increments, a 10 minute test is sufficient so that you can try pushing you graphic card more. If you have already reached the wall, do a test for 2 hours.
*Be cautioned about hardware failure while stress testing.Find the maximum safe temperature of your GPU by doing a Google search.Don’t overheat to the point of no return.Always keep attention to the system for fatal changes.In case of emergency stop the test immediately.
What is FurMark?
FurMark is a very intensive OpenGL benchmark that uses fur rendering algorithms to measure the performance of the graphics card. Fur rendering is especially adapted to overheat the GPU and that’s why FurMark is also a perfect stability and stress test tool (also called GPU burner) for the graphics card.
The startup interface allows you to tweak the benchmark features such as:
- Benchmark mode or stability / burn-in test mode (for overclockers)
- GPU temperature monitoring and recording in a file
- Fullscreen or windowed for each type of run mode
- Window size selection (standard or custom)
- MSAA samples selection
In case you like to overclock your system and experiment with them to get the highest performance this is the best utility to check your systems stability and performance.Its very useful for SLI and multi core GPU systems as they need to be tested for the maximum output.
Download FurMark from Here –> Download Link
Now as you have tested your hardware you would be able to understand the problem causing it.If the problem persists even after this take the computer to hardware specialists.Hopefully by now the problem would be gone.Have fun gaming.Game like a BOSS…